Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

My 10 Must Have Tools


Writing was never my favorite subject in school... but I have had followers ask me about my tips, tricks, & experiences. So, here goes nothing!


I always seem to get the question "What are your favorite tools?" The answer to this question is simple: Any tool that saves me time and my arms from going limp. I have looked through my tool box, which is my living room, or at least what used to be my living room, for my favorite Must- Have tools. Here is what I have come up with:

Counting Down:

10. Tuff- strip is a must for those flea market finds. I can't tell you how many times I've found a gem covered in 10 layers of peeling paint that just needed a little love to bring it back to life. Make sure you also have chemical gloves and a good metal scraper!

9. Clorox Wipes not only clean up messes, but they can be used to distress edges and smooth out paint. I always keep a bottle on hand no matter the project.

8. Everyone must have a DRILL! I am lucky enough to have a husband that lets me borrow his power tools. A drill makes removing old hardware quick and painless.

7. Ok girls don't freak out! A good blow dryer can go along way in cutting down drying time! This may sound crazy to some, but I have found that my Chi dryer is actually the best for the job! It doesn't blow a lot of air like other blowers, but the air it blows is very HOT! This makes it the perfect dryer for projects you need to speed along. I'm sure some are just cringing at the idea, but I am extremely impatient!

6. Who doesn't need a VERY LARGE paint brush?! A thick 4" paint brush is great for brushing sanding dust off of a piece before painting and waxing. There is no alternative for a good dusting brush.

5. If you wax, you will need an electric buffer. After you wax your piece with a wax brush, it is a lot of work to buff the piece by hand. I recently purchased an electric 6" buffer and it was the best $25 I've ever spent. I'm not going to lie, the vibrations from this baby are intense, but it's definitely a great time saver!

4. Steel wool is a great tool for Dark Wax. Most people are terrified of Dark Wax, but if you use Steel Wool to wipe it off instead of a rag, you achieve a similar look with half the work.

3. An Electric Sander will save you time and keep your fingernails well manicured! I use a rotary sander, and yes it does have a mind of its own! But when I need to get old paint off of a piece, it eats through it with minimal work on my part. I also like to use my electric sander to smooth out uneven surfaces.

2. Do not buy sheets of sand paper! I always buy sanding blocks: 80, 120, 220. I can't tell you how many times I tried to get a little piece of sand paper into a tight corner and ended up cutting myself or shaving off half my fingernail. Sanding blocks get into tight spaces and make sanding much easier.

1. My top MUST HAVE Tool is the old fashioned White Rag. You always need a good white cloth or rag around. When I'm painting and see a drip I can wipe it away or when I'm waxing and need to blend colors- nothing beats a good ole' white rag! They are also good for wiping down a pice after sanding as well.
_________________________________________________________________

There are probably 20 more tools I could tell you about, but these are by far my most used must-haves! So the next time you go to Home Depot, Lowe's, or your favorite home improvement store, pick up some of these items and share you experience with me. I'd love to see how my favorite tools compare to yours! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS