Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

...Before & After: Paris Grey Antique Chest

Todays Before & After was inspired by Round Top! 

I have the most wonderful clients, and that is not even an exaggeration! The client I created today's piece for described her home as "chippy, shades of gray & white, with grain sack pillows, etc. It's basically Round Top in a house." If you have ever been to the Antique Show in Round Top, TX you know exactly what she means. So, I set out to find her the perfect chest to complete her decor.

This is was the first time I saw the piece:

I'm sure most of you are thinking YIKES!! And you would be right, this piece needed a lot of work. This chest had great "bones" making it a fabulous piece to paint and bring back to life. 
So, I loaded her up in my SUV and couldn't wait to get started!



The top veneer was bubbling & peeling and was not going to be salvageable. So with a chisel in one hand and hammer in the other, I went to work. I then gave the chest a simple sanding due to some rough spots. Once all the prep work was complete, I could finally put the first coat of ASCP "Paris Grey."
aka ugly stage...


Once I had about 2 good coats of paint on the piece, I sanded it down to a nice smooth finish. I then sanded some strategic places on the drawers and sides to give the piece an aged look. I topped the piece off with clear and dark wax by ASCP and some good old fashioned buffing. The piece came together beautifully in my opinion. Here is the finished product... 


Sorry about the poor photo quality. The weather in Houston, TX has been 
too bad to take the pieces outside to photograph {sad face}. I just
hope it clears up in time for all the trick or treaters tonight!!!


Here are some close up shots...


 I rubbed a tiny bit of ASCP "Old White" on some of the details.


I am delivering the piece to the client today! I can't wait to see what the piece will look like 
in her "Round Top" inspired home! 

Ready for delivery...


Placing the piece in the clients home... the mirror will need to be raised. 
The perfect fit!  So glad the client loved her new piece!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS