Pages

Friday, December 13, 2013

... Holiday Decorating: My Home for the Holidays 2013


I would like to set the record straight... There seems to be a preconceived notion about Interior Designers and the homes that we live in. Anytime someone knows I am a designer they always feel the need to say things like "I bet you home is just absolutely beautiful" or "I'm sure your home is styled perfectly". I appreciate their faith in me, but the truth is I work so hard on other peoples homes and projects that I never seem to have the time to finish any of my own. I truly do have the most amazing clients and I wouldn't trade them for the world, but I devote all of my time and energy into making their homes "absolutely beautiful" or "styled perfectly" that my own home tends to take a back seat. As a young designer I have slowly been developing my own style and creating a home I can be proud of. I have come to learn through my first year of marriage- Compromise, when that doesn't work, move things around when  he's not looking and my favorite line: "oh honey we've had that forever I can't believe you are just now noticing it?" But seriously my husband is amazing and he's come around to quite of few of my picks. Since I am setting the record straight and in the spirit of full disclose I honestly told my husband I wasn't going to decorate our home for Christmas this year.  But he just wasn't going to stand for it, the one time of year my husband is never going to let me be lazy is Christmas. If I didn't put up the tree or break out the stockings it just wouldn't feel like the holidays. So here it is my 2013 home for the holidays.

"Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house 
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse."


Last year {2012} I slaved over making each item perfect because it was my husband (Fiance at the time) and my first Christmas in our first home together. I made all of our christmas tree bows and even sewed 7 layers of burlap ruffles onto our tree skirt. I started making stocking and realized I was in a bit over my head...

"The stocking were hung by the chimney with care"

... I stumbles upon these lovely burlap stockings and had them monogrammed at a little shop in Memorial called Initials {located on Memorial}.


This year I focused on the finishing touches, but can you ever really be finished improving and updating your holiday decor?


 A few of our 2013 updates included adding a sleigh and "H" to our tree topper to commemorate our first Christmas as husband and wife. 


A few of my decorative ornaments...


I also hunted for the perfect piece to enhance my mantle decor and replace my summer starfish. I found this awesome red mercury glass jar with a lid on one of my shopping trips and it sits atop a sweet antique Shakespeare collection of books. Books are the perfect accessory for just about any space, I'd consider them a staple accessory.


I also found these simple carved reindeer that I just love for our TV buffet. Their white washed finished was the perfect contrast to the Truffle color on our buffet. I like to break up collections, but yet still keep them close together. The three different size reindeer made it easy to distribute the weight of the pieces evenly between the two sides of the buffet. 

"Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! On, Cupid! on, Donner and Blitzen!"


With some red candles on sticks and a sleigh accenting the fire our Christmas mantle decor was finally taking shape. 


Such a sweet festive accent... and would you believe it if I told you it was my husbands favorite piece? 

"He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle, 
And away they all flew like the down of the thistle"


For those of you that know me well- I couldn't resist adding a boxwood wreath to my living room mirror and finishing it off with a big red "H". Yes I have gone a little bit overboard with my new last name initial, but isn't that what a newlywed is supposed to do?


"But I heard him exclaim, 'ere he drove out of sigh,
Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"


{'Twas the Night Before Christmas- Clement Clarke Moore}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS