Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

... Before & After: Antique Paris Egg Chest

Today's Before & After was inspired by Annie Sloan Chalk Paint color Duck Egg

I have always loved the color Duck Egg from Annie Sloan Chalk Paint; however, every time I found a piece  I thought was perfect it just wouldn't turn out like I had imagined. This happens from time to time with ASCP colors because the pigments react differently to various species and grains of wood, especially as they age. So, I set out to perfect the color on this particular piece because I was determined to make it work. I can be a bit stubborn.

This was the first time I saw the piece:

I was instantly drawn to this piece because it was similar to a family piece I had done a couple years ago. This type of piece can be used as a chest or buffet, and if you know anything about me and my style, I just love pieces that I can constantly move around my home (It keeps things fresh). I love the geometric pattern on the front of this chest, and decided when brain storming color ideas that I really wanted to play up the lines and age of the piece.

{Family Piece I painted a few years ago- my very first experience with chalk paint}

The age of this piece was very important to me. I love history and love to make an antique piece look like a perfectly aged part of the home, pristine with history. So, by layering colors (Duck Egg being one of them) and then distressing the piece, I was able to reveal these deep layers and create the desired aged look I was going for.



The close ups do the piece and the colors more justice.


It looks like the piece had been painted numerous time and now the final layer is peeling away to reveal the history of this beautiful piece. It is such a fabulous look and is even more stunning in person.


The last step is the hardware. I always try to keep the original hardware, unless it is just dreadful and then I will reluctantly hunt for something more suited to the piece. When using lighter paint colors I tend to want to lighten the hardware color so it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. I felt like this piece need a little hint of glam, so I pearlized the hardware with a silver glaze to finish it off.

Till next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS